Friday, February 23, 2018

The Power of Class Observation and Teaching Assistant




29th January 2018 – 2nd of February 2018
Today it is the schedule for Teaching Assistant. But, in the first day I still continued to observe the class because I had to know more information about teacher and students. In this time I observed teacher about planning for teaching, preparing lesson and materials, classroom management, time management and organizing activities, problem solving, model, method, and strategy in teaching, measurement and evaluation.  It was many things that I had to observe but it would be the challenge for me and I learned so many things from Ma’am Karen when I observed her in teaching Mathematics. I really like when she taught in class because she explain the lesson very well with the creative ways, so she could attract the student’s attention. Before my cooperating teacher teaching in class, she always make the lesson plan as the guidance to teach in class and also in the class she checked the attendance of the students before beginning the lesson. When she taught in class, she used different strategy to attract the attention of students. Sometimes she gave the students questions to recall or reminds the lesson before or gave the students critical questions about the lesson. She also used the learning media that made from “Manila Paper” but in Philippines they called it “Kartolina” to make the creative learning and I saw that students really enjoyed when she used learning media. She applied cooperative learning or working in pairs when she gave students activity. After that she called the representative of each group to finish the question in the chalkboard and the students should explain it. Sometimes her voice is louder because there are 52 students in the class and the students be noisy. When she gave students evaluation, she asked students to take a half of a whole sheet of paper then she gave them questions and students should answer the questions in the papers by themselves. After that, students collect the paper. So, she should control the class well. I also observed students about daily activity in class, how they understand the lesson, the feedback between teacher and student, their effort when they can’t understand the lesson, how they respect the teacher, how they work in pairs or groups, the attendance, and evaluation. Actually, I observed grade 10-A Science and 10-B Science but my Cooperating Teacher Ma’am Karen A. Mariano gave me the chance to observed student college where she taught. So, I observed three classes. Based on my observation most of students in grade 10 and also students college  are so smart and really like the lesson. They could understand well when the teacher explained the lesson and they were also so active in class. I was so excited because all of them were excellent in Math.  But, sometimes Grade 10 was a little bit noisy especially when the teacher gave them activity. It was different with students college because the teacher could control them so well so they didn’t make noisy during the learning process. In class observation I collected all of the information and if there was information that I didn’t get in the class I asked Ma’am Karen about it and how lucky I am, Ma’am Karen always gave me the clear explanation. 

Teaching in the Classroom



Using Learning Media

Activity


In the second day, third day, and fourth day, I started my activity for teaching assistant in Grade 10-A and 10-B Science. What should I do in Teaching Assistant?  I had to help teacher to manage the class, I had to help students if they couldn’t understand the lesson, help teacher to give students activity and check the paper of students, and also help teacher to handle the class if the teacher couldn’t come in class. Actually at the first time in Teaching Assistant, I couldn’t help my cooperating teacher so well especially in managed the class when the students make noisy because I felt doubt to ask my students to be silent. I didn’t know that’s why? Maybe I was a little bit shy. But, I tried to do it because in the class I was the second teacher so they had to listen to me and I got it J. In the next day, I did the same in the first day of Teaching Assistant. But sometimes my students still shy to asked me when they have problem in Math. But, I tried to come close to them and asked them, so they started to explain which part that makes them confused then I gave them explanation and how lucky they could understand my explanation. I enjoyed in Teaching Assistant because it taught me how to be a teacher. At the same time of teaching assistant, I also started to make lesson plan. Wow? I didn’t know when I talked about lesson plan sometimes I afraid about it. Why? Because I should prepare my lesson plan  so well before teaching in class as the guidance for me. I should make four lesson plans but it was okay for me although sometimes I felt a little bit frustrated. But, Ma’am Karen always helped me and never forgot to revise my lesson plan. I made detailed lesson plan about Derivative. Actually, I was not familiar with the Philippines Lesson Plan but Ma’am Karen gave me the explanation so I could understand well. In the last day, exactly on February, 2nd 2018. I didn’t have class for teaching assistant, so I used this day to finish my lesson plan and give it to Ma’am Karen to revise it. Fortunately, in my lesson plan I just did a little mistakes, Ma’am Karen told me that what was the part that have to change and gave me some suggestion about my strategy in teaching and also gave me a little explanation about the topic that I’m going to teach . Fortunately, I could revise it at this day. So, my four lesson plan has done at this day. I was so happy :)
 
Part of Teaching Assistant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment